Did you try out the Dave app because you were looking for pay advance apps? Are you wondering if there are other apps like Dave because either you were not happy with their app or you’re looking for more money than the amount which they currently offer?
Well, you came to the right place! In this article, we will give you an overview of the 5 different alternatives that you have.
If you need more money than the $100 advance that Dave can provide, the PockBox.com app could be a good solution. It allows you to get a personal loan as soon as tomorrow for up to $2,500 (or borrow as little as $100).The whole process is online and quite sleek (you will be asked a bunch of questions).
All credit types are considered. PockBox is connected to more than 50 online and offline lenders, which means that the chances of being approved for a loan is higher than individual lending apps.
What you need to know at a glance:
- Cost - it’s free to use PockBox to find a loan. You’ll get charged by your chosen lender if you decide to proceed with borrowing. Interest rates, fees, and penalties vary by lender.
- Application process - it’s just a simple online form that can be completed in 5 minutes. If you’re matched to a lender, you’ll be informed of what you need to do to complete your loan request.
- Eligibility criteria - you must be a U.S. resident, aged 18+, employed, receive a regular paycheck of over $800 per month and have a checking account.
- Best suited for - those with a less-than-stellar credit score that need a loan rather than a cash advance and who don’t have much time to research the best lending options. Click here to learn more if this sounds like you or read these money lending app reviews.
LoanSolo is a website application that connects you to multiple lenders. You can borrow a short-term loan of up to $1,000 or a personal online loan of up to $3,000. If you get matched to a lender, you’ll receive a loan offer where you’ll get chance to review the terms and conditions before going ahead with your loan. You can receive funds in as little as one business day.
What you need to know at a glance:
- Cost - because LoanSolo is a connecting service, it’s free to use. However, you’ll incur interest charges when you take out a loan, plus possibly other fees such as late payment and early repayment penalties. These fees will vary by lender. But note that interest rates on short-term payday loans are typically very high.
- Application process - to apply, you’ll simply fill out a short online questionnaire which then gets submitted to a network of lenders.
- Eligibility criteria - You must legally live and work in the U.S. and be able to show stable employment (for at least 90 consecutive days). You must also be over 18 years old, have a working phone number and email address, and a bank account in your name. You can apply even if you’ve been rejected for loans or credit cards in the past.
- Best suited for - U.S. residents who perhaps haven’t got the best credit rating in the world and need fast access to a fairly large amount of cash. Click here to check it out.
Earnin (formerly known as Activehours) helps employees to receive parts of their paycheck before payday. Earnin aims to build a better financial system; one that’s fairer and with a pay cycle that works for everyone. The app is community-supported.
You can cash out up to $100 per pay period, providing you’ve already earned the amount you want an advance on. The amount you can cash out may increase up to $500 once you’re deemed a “trustworthy borrower”. When you get paid, Earnin automatically deducts the advance from your wages.
A useful feature within the app is “Balance Shield”. Through Balance Shield, you can choose to set up alerts and automatic cash-outs when your balance is running low to help you avoid overdrafts.
Earnin is highly rated by its members. In the App Store, Earnin scores an impressive 4.6, with 72.5K ratings in total. On Google Play, Earnin has received more than 88K ratings and has an overall score of 4.5. Download it here for your iPhone or Android phone.
What you need to know at a glance:
- Cost - you can use Earnin for free, but as it’s a community-supported app, you’ll be encouraged to tip what you think is fair for the service, but only when you can afford to. If you don’t have enough money to do that sometimes, that’s fine. The idea is that the app helps you and you “pay it forward” when you can. No fees or interest is charged.
- Application process - to create an account, you’ll need to download the Earnin app and submit and verify some personal details, like your bank account and payment schedule. Then you’ll need to upload your earnings. It takes up to 72 hours to set up your account in most cases.
- App safety - Earnin is 100% legit and uses 256-bit data encryption to protect your personal details. The app never stores your bank login details.
- Eligibility criteria - you must have a regular paycheck and get paid by direct deposit. Additionally, you’ll need to work at a fixed location or work with a timesheet system to qualify to use Earnin.
- Best suited for - people who have a timesheet-based job (e.g. Uber drivers) who need to bridge the gap between paydays. Learn more about this app in our Earnin app review or research apps like Earnin here.
MoneyLion is a financial membership app. There are two membership options to choose from; Core and Plus. The Core membership gives you zero-fee checking, free managed investing and no other fees for overdrafts, maintenance or minimum balance.
You can also unlock free cash advances (Instacash) as long as you make a minimum deposit of $250. You’re eligible to get a cash advance of 10% of your direct deposit per pay period, up to a maximum of $250 (no credit check required). The amount you borrow is deducted from your account on your next deposit.
As well as all that, MoneyLion offers access to financial tracking tools, free credit monitoring and free cashback rewards of up to 12%. Withdrawing cash is free at 55K fee-free ATMs worldwide, including Bank of America and Chase. The Plus membership includes everything in the Core membership, as well as the option to get a $500 credit builder loan anytime you want at 5.99% APR.
In the App Store, MoneyLion scores 4.7 and has more than 43K ratings, while over at Google Play, the app scores 4.2 with almost 17.5K ratings.
- Cost - the MoneyLion Core membership is free, which is pretty awesome. The Plus membership is $19.99 per month and payments match your pay frequency. So if you get paid weekly, you’ll pay $4.60 per week for the service.
- Application process - you can join online or via the MoneyLion app and enroll for free in the Core membership. If approved, you’ll receive your debit card within 7 days.
- App safety - MoneyLion uses the latest, bank-level encryption to protect your banking credentials and personal data. The system is routinely tested to ensure the safety and security of member accounts. Your banking funds will be insured up to $250,000, while investment funds are protected by SIPC up to $500K including a limit of $250K for cash.
- Eligibility criteria - you must be at least 18 years old to apply for a MoneyLion Core membership and have a valid U.S. Social Security Number. For the Plus membership, you must have a valid checking account with a positive balance and a regular income paid by direct deposit to that account.
- Best suited for - those that are looking for alternative apps like dave, cheaper approach to banking and want to take advantage of free fully managed, personalized investing, plus access to cash advances. Read our article called MoneyLion reviews or check out apps like MoneyLion instead.
The Brigit app is useful for those who need a cash safety net of up to $250 from time to time. The app’s key features include fast approval, low balance alerts, overdraft predictions, and automatic cash advances. No credit check is needed. The support team is available any day of the week if you run into problems.
- Cost - it’s expensive compared to Dave - there’s a monthly subscription fee of $9.99. However, there are no additional costs for transfers and no interest is charged either.
- Application process - you can simply download the app from Google Play or the App Store to get started, or you can enter your phone number at the Brigit website and you’ll get a text to download the app.
- App safety - Brigit uses 256-bit encryption like the big banks, and unlike some other apps, it doesn’t require your Social Security Number.
- Eligibility criteria - you must be at least 18, live in the U.S., have an active bank account with a balance greater than $0, and be able to prove you have a recurring income (by paycheck deposit) from a single source. You also need to have a cash cushion in your bank account at the close of play on payday too.
- Best suited for - those who need quick access to more than $100 before payday. Check out apps like Brigit here.
In this article, we reviewed 5 cash advance apps like Dave. Keep in mind that anything you borrow, you must pay back. We know that sometimes, you might need a loan urgently and that your banks might not allow you to get one because of a bad credit score. Don’t forget that the best way to avoid overdraft fees is to keep track of your expenses, plan your budget wisely and, avoid getting into debt altogether.
Disclaimer: if you find yourself having an overdrawn bank account too often, you should consider asking your bank to waive your overdraft fees.