Editor’s Note: Overdraft Apps provides detailed product reviews and recommendations based upon extensive research and our own hands-on testing. We may earn a referral fee when you sign up for or purchase products mentioned in this article.
Grid Money offers up to $200 in cash advances in between paychecks, early access to your tax refund plus a suite of other features inside one app. Although Grid’s cash advances come with no interest and no fees, you will need to pay to become a Grid+ member, which costs $10 a month. Not looking to add a $120 annual subscription cost to your budget? We’ve rounded up the best alternative cash advance apps instead.
What are the best features of the Grid Money app?
Grid offers small cash advances (up to $200) to cover unexpected expenses or to bridge the gap between paychecks.
There’s no credit check to qualify. Instead Grid links to your bank account via Plaid and uses an algorithm to analyze your financial situation and determine your eligibility for cash advances.
For most users, cash advances start at $50. This amount does gradually jump up by $10 at a time as you build a track record of making on-time payments.
Unlike many other cash advance apps on this list, Grid doesn’t offer instant transfers. So if you’re short on cash for a meal, or need to grab a gift before the shops close, you’ll be out of luck. You can speed up the process with an $2.99 express fee, though you’ll still need to wait up to 8 hours to get your funds.
Why is Cleo one of our favorite cash advance apps?
- Super speed - Get up to $250 in your bank account today!1
- No, No, No! - No credit check, no interest, no tips, no late fees
- 😂 😂 🤣 - Hilarious, smart money advice you might finally listen to
Repaying your Grid cash advance is set automatically to your next paycheck – with no way to manually adjust this schedule. Grid does send reminders to ensure a timely repayment, but some reviews online complain of needing to wait for a repayment to update, which delays eligibility for another advance.
Outside of cash advances, Grid helps optimize the tax withholding on your paycheck. This can increase your take-home pay and keep more money in your pocket today – though your yearly tax refund may shrink.
All of these features are included in Grid’s paid membership which will set you back $10 per month.
Learn more about the Grid Money App >>> Grid Money app review
Who is the Grid app NOT for?
Like any cash advance app, the devil’s in the details.
Borrowing two hundred dollars can be a huge help, but there are a few downsides to be aware of. If you plan on downloading the Grid Money app, here are a few potential downsides to be aware of.
- Maximum cash advances of $200 may not offer a high enough amount
- The Grid app doesn’t currently support Chime, Dave, Varo or Capital One
- It takes 1 day for Grid’s cash advance to land in your account
- A Grid membership costs $10 a month
- Grid does not offer early repayments
What apps are like Grid Money?
Other cash advance apps like Grid Money offer users access to small cash advances to cover unexpected expenses or bridge the gap between paychecks. If you’re looking to compare features or access more money, we think you’ll love these alternatives.
#1 – Dave: Borrow up to $500 as a new user with no interest
Dave is the original cash advance app and still one of the best.
Many apps like Grid market themselves as a solution for everyday Americans but offer small initial borrowing limits. You can qualify for Dave’s $500 cash advance2 right away and get your money in less than 60 seconds (seriously).
If you want your money immediately, you can sign up for a Dave Debit MasterCard®. Or, have your money sent to an existing debit card or bank account. These options take longer, but they mean you don’t have to move your direct deposit if you don’t want to.
Dave’s $1/month membership also looks a whole lot more appealing than Grid’s $10/month membership.
Get a cash advance for up to $500 instantly >>> Check out Dave for free ????
|✓ Cash advances up to $500||✘ 1-3 business days to external checking account|
|✓ No interest or fees|
|✓ No credit check|||
|✓ $1 monthly membership is affordable|
#2 – Brigit: Get out of trouble with up to $250 in fee-free overdrafts
Your cash advance depends on the activity in your bank account, so there’s no credit check. Since Brigit monitors your bank balance, you can also receive alerts when your account is in danger of overdrafting – which can save you $39 or more.
The Brigit app is free to download. However, it will cost you $9.99/month to access cash advances – which is practically the same as Grid’s monthly subscription. Brigit’s limit of $250 is higher than Grid’s $200 cash advance limit, which can provide a little extra financial flexibility.
Brigit can also let you know if you’re eligible for cash advances BEFORE you sign up, so you don’t end up paying for a subscription you don’t use (we’ve all been there!).
Access up to $250 in fee-free overdrafts >>> Explore Brigit Now ????
|✓ Access up to $250 in cash advances||✘ Lower withdrawal amount|
|✓ No credit check||✘ $9.99 subscription required for cash advances|
|✓ No interest or tip fees|||
#3 – Albert: No-fee cash advances up to $250
Albert offers interest and fee-free cash advances for up to $250.[efn_note_Download to see if you qualify. Repay the advance with your next paycheck. Fees may apply. Advance amounts based on qualification and may vary. Albert is not a bank. Banking services provided by Sutton Bank, Member FDIC.[/efn_note]
It’s hard to leave Albert off a list of apps like Grid Money with its borrowing amount up there with the highest of ANY cash advance app.
Once eligible, you can access your cash advance up to 3 times per pay period. And since there’s no credit check, you’re not punished for not having a high credit score.
Unlike Dave ($1/month), Brigit ($9.99/month) and Grid ($10/month), there’s no subscription needed to use Albert. However, creating an Albert account means you can access your cash advance in minutes instead of sending it to your bank account which takes up to 3 days.
You can also connect with Albert Geniuses – real-life experts who can answer your financial questions 7 days a week. There’s an added fee for this service (which can be as low as $6/month) and you’ll get a 30-day free trial when you sign up to see if it’s worthwhile.
No interest cash advances and and access to real financial experts >>> Download the Albert app free ????
|✓ Borrow up to $250||✘ Funds take 2 – 3 days to reach your account*|
|✓ No fees or interest||✘ Requires access to financial information|
|✓ No credit check|||
*Funds available immediately with a $6.99 express fee, or with no fee if you set up an Albert Cash account.
#4 – MoneyLion: Low-cost cash advances up to $250
MoneyLion is best known for Instacash – which provides advances up to $250 with a few taps on your phone.4 This amount can be increased to $300 by adding a Roar Money account or MoneyLion Credit Builder Plus Membership.
You’ll need a recurring direct deposit from an employment or benefits program. It’s helpful to know that MoneyLion works for Uber drivers, Lyft drivers, and other gig workers. Your initial cash limit may be just $25, though you can get $50 to $250 right away if MoneyLion detects direct deposits.
Instacash impresses us with zero fees – no interest, no monthly fees and no mandatory fees. However, you’ll need to pay an express fee if you want your cash immediately (up to $5.99 to a MoneyLion account and up to $8.99 to your own bank account).
If you choose not to pay the express fee, you can enjoy truly fee-free cash advances by waiting for funds to land in your account (12 – 48 hours for a Roar Money account and 3 – 5 business days for your own bank account).
Get cash advances up to $250 with no interest >>> Check out MoneyLion ????
|✓ Fee-free overdrafts up to $250||✘ 3-5 business days to external checking account|
|✓ 0% APR cash advances||✘ Requires bank account access|
|✓ No credit check|||
#5 – Current: Use Overdrive for up to $200 in fee-free overdrafts
Sick of overdraft fees? (Us too).
The Current app can help.
Current’s Overdrive feature lets you overdraft your checking account by up to $200 with zero fees.
If you qualify for Overdrive you’ll be able to access $25 right away (perfect for covering dinner or that small, last-minute gift). This is $5 more than Chime SpotMe’s $20 initial limit. Plus, you’ll have the potential to increase your limit to $200 over time.
Say Goodbye to Overdraft Fees >>> Sign up for Overdrive in less than 2 minutes ????
|✓ Up to $200 in fee-free overdrafts||✘ Requires bank account for access|
|✓ Fee-free ATM withdrawals|
|✓ No minimum balance or hidden fees|
#6 – PockBox: Borrow up to $2,500 even with a low if your credit score
PockBox can help when you need more than apps like Grid can offer. At the same time, looking for higher loan amounts can be confusing, overwhelming and downright impossible at times.
PockBox solves this problem by letting you compare loan offers from multiple lenders within minutes.
Start by entering a little information about yourself and your financial situation, and PockBox will connect you with up to 50 popular no-interest cash advance apps, short-term installment lenders, and leading personal loan providers. These options may offer fast, unsecured funding of amounts from $20 to $2,500 which blows cash advances like Grid out of the water.
There’s no obligation to choose a lender so you can browse without cost or impacting your credit score. If you’ve got an excellent credit score you may qualify for multiple loan offers at an exceptional rate.
Since PockBox connects you with lenders who tailor loans for those with poor credit scores, you’re not left out of the conversation when you need to borrow money.
Compare Loan Offers Up to $2,500 >>> Browse Pockbox For Free ????
|✓ Borrow up to $2,500||✘ No credit check loans can carry high rates|
|✓ 100% free to compare options|
|✓ Compare up to 50 lenders|
|✓ Perfect for low credit borrowers|
#7 – Go2Bank: Overdraft up to $200
Go2Bank offers up to $200 in overdraft protection on debit card purchases.
So if your bank account is empty you can still make purchases without pesky overdraft fees. Helping reduce your financial burden, you can avoid paying an overdraft fee if you bring your account back to a positive balance within 24 hours of your first overdraft transaction.
And, as a bonus, Go2Bank lets you overdraft your account right as soon as you meet the qualifying criteria which are tied to your direct deposit history. If you make two direct deposits of at least $400 over a 35 day period, you could unlock two hundred bucks in overdraft coverage.
Access up to $200 in overdraft protection >>> Get started with Go2Bank ????
|✓ Fee-free overdrafts up to $200||✘ $5 monthly fee without eligible direct deposits|
|✓ No monthly fees with eligible direct deposit||✘ Requires bank account access|
#8 – Varo Bank – Instant cash advances up to $100
Varo offers instant cash advances for up to $100 – with no credit check.
You can use your advance for any purchase, withdrawal, transfers via Venmo Cash App, or any way you like, which offers a little extra flexibility than an app like Current which ties your cash advance to a Current debit card.
To qualify for a Varo advance, you’ll need a Varo Bank Account that’s active and at least 30 days old. You also need at least $1,000 in Qualifying Direct Deposits to either your checking or savings account within the last 31 days, and an activated Varo Bank Debit Card.
If that sounds like a lot… we agree.
Many of the apps like Grid offer cash advances without jumping through so many hoops. And with your initial advance capped at $20, there are options that can put more money in your pocket sooner (like Dave’s ultra-impressive $500).
Enjoy an instant cash advance up to $100 >>> Get to Know Varo ????
|✓ Access up to $100 in cash advances||✘ Lower withdrawal amount|
|✓ No credit check||✘ Must have a Varo bank account|
|✘ One late payment can impact future cash advance eligibility|
BEFORE YOU GO…
Check out our most popular articles:
- 9 Best Money Borrowing Apps of The Year (We Crown a Champion) ????
- How to Overdraft $200 From Your Smartphone (and Never Pay Overdraft Fees Again) ????
- Money Saving List of Banks That Let You Overdraft Instantly (Fast Cash Secrets) ????
WAIT! High overdraft fees aren’t the only way your bank is costing you money.
With inflation overheating, you’ve probably heard that interest rates are climbing sharply. That means that for the first time in years, it’s a great time to shop around for a high interest savings account.
The national average interest rate for savings accounts is currently 0.23% APY – that means that if you have $2,500 in a savings account, you’d earn just $5.76 after one year! Move those hard-earned savings to an FDIC-insured bank paying 3.50% APY and you’d earn $81.73 more!
Don’t let your hard-earned savings sit there doing nothing. Check out the rates that you can earn at other banks:
- How to Overdraft Your Debit Card at the Gas Pump: Try This Simple Hack - November 28, 2023
- Get Emergency Cash Immediately: 10 Best Apps That Loan You Money Instantly - November 20, 2023
- Borrow $200 From Cash App: How to Get Two Hundred Bucks With No Credit Check - November 20, 2023
- Eligibility requirements apply. Not all users will qualify. Advance amounts range from $20 to $250. Instant transfers subject to express fees. Visit meetcleo.com/terms for more information.
- ExtraCash™ is a DDA account with overdraft utility that is subject to eligibility requirements. Taking an ExtraCash™ advance will make your account balance negative. Express delivery fees apply to instant transfers. See the Extra Cash Account Agreement
- Subject to Brigit’s approval and policies.
- Instacash is an optional service offered by MoneyLion. Your available Instacash Advance limit will be displayed to you in the MoneyLion mobile app and may change from time to time. Your limit will be based on your direct deposits, account transaction history, and other factors as determined by MoneyLion. See Membership Agreement and help.moneylion.com for additional terms, conditions and eligibility requirements.
- Overdrive™ is available only on Current Individual Accounts and requires $500 in qualifying direct deposits on Current each month. Members will be notified by Current when they are eligible and must opt-in to Overdrive™. The Overdrive™ limit starts at $25, allowing members to overdraft their accounts up to $25 on debit card purchases without any fees, and accounts are reviewed periodically for increases up to $200 at Current’s discretion. Your limit may change based on your account history, spending activity, or other risk-based factors. You will receive a notification of any changes to your limit and your limit may change at any time at Current’s discretion. Your limit and remaining balance will be displayed to you in the Current app. When you receive your next deposit, Current then will apply funds towards your negative balance. Overdrive™ will not cover any non-debit card purchases, including ATM withdrawals, ACH transfers, P2P services (PayPal, Venmo, Cash App, or similar services), Current Pay transfers and checks. See terms and conditions.
- Activated, chip-enabled debit card and opt-in required. $15 fee may apply to each eligible purchase transaction that brings your account negative. Balance must be brought to at least $0 within 24 hours of authorization of the first transaction that overdraws your account to avoid the fee. Go2Bank requires immediate payment of each overdraft and overdraft fee. Overdrafts paid at Go2Bank’s discretion, and Go2Bank does not guarantee that it will authorize and pay any transaction. Learn more about Overdraft Protection (PDF).